Disney        Tips        Family Fun        International                                               

Question of the Week - Do I Need to Dress Up for Dining on Carnival Cruises? - #WonderingWednesdays

I'm not sure why, but people who want to cruise get a lot of anxiety about what to wear. Perhaps it's because there's a feeling of being stuck in the middle of the ocean without a nearby Walmart? Or perhaps because luggage capacity is limited? In any case, a lot of people ask me about dress codes and I hope this post will be able to answer those questions. I'm mainly focusing on Carnival because that's who I've travelled with so I feel comfortable answering with some first-hand experience.

Buffet Restaurant (aka Lido Marketplace), Eateries Around the Pool (such as Blue Iguana, Pig and Anchor, etc), Casual Cafes - Very Casual Attire - Pool clothes are acceptable but please don't come in dripping-wet (you may fall). Adults and teens should wear shirts/coverups. Shoes are required (and honestly the floors are sticky and dirty so highly recommended).

Sit-down Restaurant for Breakfast - Somewhat Casual Attire - I've seen people wearing pajama pants and shirts. Pool clothes that look like normal clothes seem fine. Adults and teens should wear shirts/coverups.

Sit-down Restaurant for Dinner on a regular night - "Cruise Casual" (not quite Business Casual) - I tend to think about golf courses when I describe this look. Nice shorts/pants/capir pants/nice jeans. Most men wear polos but I've seen nice tshirts. No offensive shirts or anything your grandma would look at sideways. Dresses that are appropriate. You will see diners like to be dressy.

Sit-down Restaurant for Dinner on formal night, Steakhouse Restaurant, Fancier Restaurants, etc - "Cruise Elegant" (Business Casual or better) - I've seen both super-formal and more businessy-style attire, so whatever makes you comfortable. No shorts/capris. Higher-quality shirts are fine. Polos or dress shirts and pants or slacks for men. Nicer dresses or pantsuits for women. Suits or evening gowns are not common. No flipflops or too casual shoes. I personally wore nicer sandals and felt fine.

Caveat - if you are planning to buy photograph packages, they often have photographers going around the restaurants (not the buffets) taking pictures. So keep in mind if you want to wear nicer clothes.

Hope that helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment