Disney        Tips        Family Fun        International                                               

Travel Tips - Walt Disney World (Orlando, Florida) - What NOT to Bring

Our family has been to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida on over 40 separate trips. I've taken all my children when they were as young as 6 months old. I'm constantly asked what to bring which I posted last week. This week I'm going to share my list of what NOT to bring. These are things I've brought over the years and decided they were not worth packing.

Like I mentioned last week, I don't bring reusable diaper changing pads. Not only are they too small to cover the changing table surface but who wants to put that dirty thing back in their bag? I always use disposble covers.
In addition, I don't bring Diaper Bags. They are too uncomfortable to tote around all day. Then I got into the habbit of leaving them hanging on the stroller (which gives thieves temptation). So now I just put all my baby items into a good travel backpack with drink holders for bottles/cups.
I stopped buying Disney rain ponchos and bringing disposable ones instead. I learned my lesson the hard way TWICE. I bought a really nice $20 rain poncho with Mickey on it. Then after the ten minute rain shower, I rolled it up and stuffed it into the stroller. And it sat. For days. In hot, humid Florida. YUK. When I opened it up to pack, it was moldy. The second time I bought one, I spread it out in the hotel room to dry. We wore it once. Not worth the money. Just bring the cheap ones and toss when done.
Don't bring a cheap folding umbrella stroller. I did this once and swore never again. First, it can't hold all your stuff. Second, they tip over ALL THE TIME. It's a real pain. Either bring a decent foldable stroller with some storage or rent a stroller.
Don't bring a cheap stroller. I did this also. The thing was so hard to move or to turn. I ended up leaving it near the trash at the hotel.
Don't bring a stroller with bad wheels. I brought a huge double-stroller which did not have good wheels. It was SO HARD to turn especially in tight places like crowded stores. If you can't turn easily with kids sitting iside, leave it at home. Believe me, you will be so frustrated you will feel like dumping it in the trash.
Back to the Floriday heat. Even though the weather app shows mid-80's, add in humidity, the intense sun, the cement, and the crowds, it will feel like over 100 degrees. Don't wear jeans. Don't wear thick clothes. If you plan to visit December - March, you might want to bring the warm clothes for night times since the temperature does dip a bit after sunset. I've worn multiple layers during the MMVCP (Christmas Party) several times and still felt cold.
Going to Disney is not the time to break in new shoes as you will walk thousands of steps a day (unless you rent a scooter). I don't recommend anything that will get ruined by water or rain. Or anything that will make your feet sweat.
You might want to leave your hard shell sunglass case at the hotel or in your car. The security guards always pull visitors aside to investigate those (I'm guessing the machines don't like them). Bring soft fabric covers or pouches instead.
Drones are not allowed to be flown within the Disney World bubble without specific permission. They will confiscate them.
Have suggestions? Please feel free to add them in the comments. Enjoy your trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment